Ha Ha Tonka castle, so called because it was modeled after 15th century European castles, was started by Robert McClure Snyder Sr. in 1905. He purchased around 2,500 acres of the land for use as a resort in an area known by Native Americans as “ha ha tonka” or “laughing waters” because of the springs below the castle. The entire resort consisted of a 3.5 story castle, stone stable, nine greenhouses, and an eighty foot water tower, all built of locally acquired stone and timber.
Between the Stone Arches, HaHa Tonka State Park, Camdenton, Missouri.
Unfortunately, Snyder did not live to realize his dream as he was killed in an auto accident in 1906. The castle was completed by his sons Robert Jr., LeRoy, and Kenneth in the late 1920s and was used as a hotel until it was destroyed by fire in 1942. Now, only the stone walls remain. The State of Missouri purchased the castle and grounds in 1978, and opened it to the public as a State Park.